Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Five Year Plan

Pin It It's one of the most common questions people ask... 
"Where do you see yourself in five years?" 
Common responses usually are something along the lines of a buying a new home, a job promotion, or perhaps just overall better financial security. Questions in this regard are always met with external factors that affect your life. 

I found an interesting take the other day from {Tiny Buddha}, where she presented an interesting spin to this common question. Instead of asking "Where do you see yourself in five years?" rather ask...


 "Who do you want to be in five years?"

I had one of those "ah ha" moments! So often we're consumed with our materialistic and external factors in our life that we can't entirely control. Yes, we all want a nicer house, a nicer car, our "dream" job...and although these goals are important to have, they aren't as important as who we are. 

This got me thinking about my own life and who I really want to be in five years...not just what I see myself doing in five years. Putting the question about myself makes all my goals internal, allowing me to have complete control over who I become.

Now, thinking about who I want to ultimately be in five years is a lot of pressure in my eyes. Of course I want to be the best version of myself, loving, caring, understanding, loyal and the a like. But who do I want to be? Here's what I've come up with so far...

I want to be the kind of wife that my husband is excited and proud to come home to. I want to make him feel loved and respected and let him know he's the best thing to ever happen to me.

I want to be the best mother I can possibly be. I want to be the kind of mother who breast-feeds, who's children sleep in the middle of "mommy and daddy", who will live selflessly and put my children before myself, and to make sure that no matter what goes on in life...my children can come to me for absolutely anything.

I want to be the family member that is open to having my family pick up the phone to talk with...laugh with...or cry with. I want to be the best daughter, sister, aunt, and cousin to all of my wonderful family.

I want to grow my friendships even more than they already are. And always remember to put time aside to enjoy each and every person that's in my life. I want to be a forever friend.

I want to also treat myself as I would a friend. I want to heal from my battered scars and wounds and find peace and happiness within myself. I want to be content in the person I am each and every day.


Now, who do you want to be in five years?

{source}

1 comment:

  1. Perfectly said .. these are all great goals!

    Shauna
    www.ShaunaWyrick.com

    ReplyDelete