Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Today's Modern Woman {aka Superwoman}

Pin It

{Disclaimer: This isn't in any way to portray men as insignificant or that their roles aren't just as equally important as women, because men need women just as much as women need men (that's the beauty of it all)}

Women. Yes, we are one hell of a complicated species. So irrational and emotional...and let's not forget, oh so dramatic. We are mysterious and unpredictable...so watch out men...because you never really know what you're gonna get. But with all these "faults" we seem to have, comes great loyalty, strength, passion, and love. Women are truly phenomenal beings (yes I happen to be bias).

I grew up with a mother who shared all these traits. My mother was and is not only the greatest mother, but person, to walk this earth (I whole heatedly mean that). The amount of passion, love and strength that exuded from my mother while I was growing up was inspiring to me. I knew I wanted to be like her when I grew up. My mother really was and always has been the "glue" that held our family together. Now being an adult, I look back in awe thinking about how strong she had to be not only for herself, but for her family. My mother is my role model, my best friend, and my {Superwoman}.

As I began growing older, I started seeing the roles of men and women in my family, friends, and even strangers. When my parents were children, it was instinctual in a sense for the man to be the breadwinner and for the woman to stay at home and take care of the kids. They each had their roles (however sexiest it may have been) but there was a level of understanding. 

In today's modern world, today's modern woman isn't so black and white. Women's ability and power is now (almost) completely accepted. We have women running companies and running for president even. Women now have a say in life, and I couldn't be more grateful for that. 

This is where the but comes in...where does this leave us with our roles of a man and woman? Women (who have always been capable) are now allowed to equally do what men have done for years upon years. Yet, where does family play in? Who's supposed to do the laundry? Cook dinner? And yes...always keep things spicy in the bedroom? 

I've always admired women who seem to "do it all". Work a full time job, keep a clean house, do the laundry, cook dinner, raise the children, have a great sex life, and still manage to keep sane. But is that really possible? Is it possible for a REAL modern woman to exist? 

I've struggled throughout my life (and even more so now that I'm an adult) on my role as a woman. I've always known I had a desire as a young age to raise a family. It's in my bones, my soul, my heart...every ounce of me to get married, and raise my children. But in today's society, women are now judged by "only" being a stay at home mom and taking care of a family. Ask my mother...it's the HARDEST job you could ever do. It's ironic to struggle with your identity in today's modern world, when women would have said the same thing before women's rights. 

It's a fine line that we walk in today's modern world...thinking about where we fit in to it all. I sure know I want to be looked as a strong, independent, and successful woman (who mind you doesn't put up with shit from anyone) but is having a full time job, cooking, cleaning, raising children, etc. the only way to prove that? 

That is the question I'm still trying to answer...

2 comments: